Welcome! Log in or Sign Up!

Forums » Community » hair salon...ugh!!!

hair salon...ugh!!!

Subscribe to hair salon...ugh!!! 17 Posts, 12 voices

Icon_missing_medium TonyaRegert 186 Posts
Ok so here's my plight. I hope someone out there has some advice. two years ago a local hair salon called and needed me to clean weekly. Normally I don't really like hair salons and I tried to get out of it but the owner is the head of the local chamber and is very nice and it seemed like it could be ok. So each week we go and the place is under constuction. I mean one week we go and there is a wall dividing the rooms and the next its gone and there are no base boards, new floor in one room etc. Any way I keep thinking it will settle down. No, 18 months go by....5 new hair stations go up. We don't really have to clean them but it is still more chair bottoms and more hair on floor etc. so here's the kicker, she is now laying down SHINY black and white ceramic tile floor. I have told her this is going to be a cleaning nightmare. She is convinced it is a good choice because she "doesn't mind smeary as long as it's clean" and she chose black grout. However, It now takes way longer to clean looks terrible she has complained once already and I just see a huge problem on the way. So I f I raise the price I have to make it look good. Does anybody have a specific method to make this type of floor turn out well? If I quit that isn't really going to go over well, plus I 'd have to find a new hairdresser...LOL I'd love to have some info on why this is a poor choice for a hair salon or maybe a better choice for flooring. So far it 's just one long hallway. and the restrooms. It has to be a nice floor as it is a nice salon, she won't even consider painted concrete etc.

Icon_missing_medium Ken Galo 1938 Posts
Was the grouting sealed? or treated with an impregnator?

Are you mopping with a neutral cleaner? Have you tried mopping with a neutralizer instead?

Raise your prices, if they quit you don't lose anything but some aggravation and you can still get your hair done

The grout was not sealed but that isn't the problem,(yet, anyway.) it's black so it's not so bad. The problem is the hair and the mop. Yes I use neutral cleaner, but just water even makes it swirly looking. If I do raise the price( due to the flooring and extra time it takes) I want to be able to make it look nice, and so far it just isn't looking great.

Icon_missing_medium LoretteParslow 12 Posts
If you haven't tried already, perhaps a microfibre mop would work.

Icon_missing_medium andypirkle 7 Posts
Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, that is the only way you can get a handle on the hair. Use a flat mopping system never pick it up, like dust mopping.

Icon_missing_medium Billcorbett 6 Posts
When I do beauty shops, I use a back pack, and a felt edged floor tool. You will have to vacuum the felt once or twice while cleaning a 1500 sq. ft. salon, but most of the hair will come up. then mop with an aggressive neutral cleaner( I like Butcher's Lancer). I keep a mop just for beauty shops and vets clinics. The floor tool you can get from Hesco.

Icon_missing_medium RodAugustine 66 Posts
You might try mopping with a mild degreaser and a flat mop. It sounds to me like the oils from the hair are not mopping up with a neutral cleaner not to mention all the hairspray and other products that are mixing together when it hits the floor. Your swirl marks are probably because the floor is not clean and it is just pushing the oils around leaving the marks. Is it possible to scrub the floor with a small auto scrubber This would help a bunch
Rod

Thakns for all the info. Right now the tile is just in the hallway, so it's not in the main salon yet. All of the problems mentioned above are what I am fearing will happen once she goes with the rest of the place. I was hoping to give her a better flooring option. What is the best floor for a salon? A scrubber would be great but we're talking over 2000 square feet of this stuff and If I take the scrubber and all of that it will be a much bigger job than she is even close to paying for....

Icon_missing_medium Rodney Augus... 35 Posts
A scrubber will cut down on labor costs which in turn shouldn't really cost you or her any extra money, if you already have the scrubber. 2000 sq ft is small and any quality scrubber take care of it a lot more efficently than scrubbing by hand. But anyway back to your ? I would consider either some sort of wood laminate or even a good quality sheet good, vinyl, linoleum, anything that is smooth so that it is easier to dust mop and wet mop.

Icon_missing_medium SandraFann 57 Posts
We clean several hair salons that have ceramic tile floor. One is black and white. The only way that I have found to remove the steaks, swirls and water spots is to mop with a string mop and then dry with a flat mop.

We have even tried cleaners made for ceramic tile. They left streaks too. I have tried window cleaner in my water. It worked well on pink tile, but not on black tile.

The streaking seems to come from the water on the floor drying at an uneven rate. For instance, if you will observe the freshly mopped floor before it dries, you will see that the water on the floor is thin is spots and heavy in spots. When it dries, you have a pattern that is spotty or streaky.

Where the water is thin and dries faster, the floor is ok. Where it dries slowly, you have streaks, smears and water spots. Just like you would get if you used water on a glass and didn't wipe it dry.

I figured that I needed to treat the tile like glass. Clean it, then dry polish it. I use a regular string mop and go over with a flat mop with a terry cloth cover. Maybe a dry bonnet with a buffer would be faster (This just occcured to me, I have not tried it).

This works fastest with two people, one wet mopping and one drying. You do have to develop a pattern so the person using the flat mop is not walking on freshly mopped floors. But since you are drying the floor, it does not stay wet long.

To speed it up, we only use this method on the main floor, We don't do this in the storage area or bathrooms where the streaks don't matter as much.

Sorry I really don't have a good solution to the problem. The salons we clean are pretty small. I have tried using a Floor Mate brand machine and still need to dry the floor. I hope someone can figure it out.

What we need is a floor cleaning product the drys/evaporates so fast that it does not leave streaks, or a way to apply the floor cleaner more evenly. I would appreciate a solution to the problem too.

S Fann

Thanks Sandra, I wonder if an alcohol based floor cleaner would work? What do you think? I'll try the drying method.

Icon_missing_medium Ken Galo 1938 Posts
If alcohol base is an option, think windshield washer fluid.

Icon_missing_medium ChazTownsend 328 Posts
Hi Tonya,

The above is good advice, but none of it has ever worked for me and I still have problems with streaking on some ceramic floors. I believe you question was first, how to make the floor look good, and second, how to justify a price increase to do so. The most successful thing I have done when encountered with this problem is to take a low speed or high speed buffer and go over the floor after it has been mopped. it gets rid of the streaks, but you need to dustmop after doing it. Try this out and if it works, figure your price based on your extra expense. Again, i have used flat mops, microfiber, and all the above methods and this has been the best thing to actually work. Its no big secret, because using the buffer in this situation is the same thing as wiping the floor with a dry cloth. But if you have a large area, doing that is not practical.

Icon_missing_medium SandraFann 57 Posts
What kind of pad do you use on the buffer? Wouldn't anything except a bonnet eventually remove the commercial finish on the ceramic tile?

Icon_missing_medium JuanitaApodaca 4 Posts
I would suggest using a PH neutral product like Masterpiece No Rinse Neutral Cleaner.
This is an excellent product.
Non-streaking, no rinse, NON RESIDUE

CALL TRAVIS 1-866-263-8545 EXT 2 for further information and/or to purchase

The resorts in Las Vegas have this problem and use the product.

Aaa MindyBilter 1 Post

Even I would suggest you PH neutral products,as they would provide you with good offers and positive results Read more about it.

Icon_missing_medium LynnKrafft 342 Posts

I haven't been here for a while, but this is a live one.

Use the vacuum suggestions given above. Your goal is to remove all hair from the floor before introducing any moisture which just adds to the hair removal problem. Someone mentioned using a flat dry microfiber mop after vacuuming, if that is what is needed to get ALL the hair off the floor.

The streaking on any previously dampened surface is the result of the water evaporating to the air and leaving residue. They may be hard water deposits, but more often are simply detergent residues and dissolved solids left from an incomplete solution pickup. The obvious solution to the solution problem is to do a more complete removal.

You can launder your mophead more often.

You can make sure it is pressed out as dry as possible.

You can use microfiber heads.

You can use a wet vac.

Just be certain that the floor is as dry as you can get it so no solution is left to evaporate and leave deposits. If you don't leave dirty solution on the floor in the first palce, you will not need the time and effort to remove the resulting streaks.

The drying time issue is deceptive because the length of the drying time on heavy solution leftovers gives the impression that the time needed to dry is the factor with the streaking. It is not. The heavier solution deposits take longer to dry, but the amount of dissolved and suspended particles within those deposits is the cause of the streaks. Only a complete removal of the mopping solution will solve your problem.

Forums » Community » hair salon...ugh!!!